Sunday 24 February 2013

Rimmel Apocalips Apocaliptic

Rimmel does some of the most fabulously pigmented lipsticks on the market so it's no surprise that they are one of the first drugstore brands to attempt an intense liquid lipstick.  

Available in eight shades, Apocalips is a intensely pigmented lacquer rouge that retails for a very affordable £6. I picked these up on my last London trip, during Boots' 3-for-2 offer.

Made in England, these contain 5.5ml/0.18 fl oz., just a bit less than Shiseido Lacquer Rouge and Guerlain Rouge G L'Extrait which are 6ml/0.2 fl oz each.

The sponge tip applicator has a concave well at the tip that holds a dab of the lipstick. As this is so intensely pigmented, I usually apply it using the sides of the applicator, which are covered in less product, instead of the slanted tip. I also blot and smudge this out for a less intense effect. Apocaliptic leaves the lips slightly stained pink.


Compared to Shiseido Lacquer Rouge, the texture is very similar, dense but with enough slip to make it easy to apply. There is no shimmer or glitter, just full on color with a bit of shine. Lacquer Rouge has no discernible scent to me whereas Apocalips has a plasticky scent. I like the packaging of Apocalips except for the fact that the shade name is not printed on the tube. Instead, it's only on the white sticker, which could come off easily.

In the pic below, you can see the concave well on the slanted tip surface of the Apocalips applicator, which is slightly longer than the slanted tip surface of the Lacquer Rouge applicator. Both are adept at providing a precise application.

Apocalips 303 Apocaliptic, a vibrant pink is a virtual dupe of Lacquer Rouge RS404 Disco. Disco leans more hot pink, whereas Apocaliptic has a touch more red.

On the lips, Apocalips felt quite comfortable but it does transfer easily at the slightest touch. I also noticed some minor bleeding at the edges after a couple of hours. It lasted well over four hours on my lips but it did leave my lips feeling dry. For a more hydrating version with less intense colors, I would recommend Maquillage Essence Glamorous Rouge which comes in 10 easy-to-wear shades.


I wouldn't say that Apocalips is my favourite as I prefer more moisturising formulas but I do appreciate the intense color which comes at a fraction of the price of Guerlain Rouge G L'Extrait and Shiseido Lacquer Rouge.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm so jealous! They don't have it here in California D:

Haru said...

hi Lisa,
Perhaps Rimmel will launch it in the USA as well. Or you could wait for ASOS.com to stock it, as they stock most Rimmel products.

Anonymous said...

That color looks fabulous on you! Brightens your whole face!