Sunday 29 July 2012

Weekly Photo Challenge All Star Makeup Edition

This week's photo challenge by Yumeko is the All Star Makeup edition.

1. The Super Star: Something you have used for over a year and will still be using.

For my daily routine, concealers, eyeshadow primers and eyebrow pen are essential. For these, I rely on Too Faced Shadow Insurance, NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base, Lunasol Under Eye Base, Bourjois Healthy Mix Concealer and K-Palette Lasting Two Way Eyebrow. Of these, I have re-purchased the K-Palette eyebrow pen at least five times. It lasts much longer than eyebrow powder, despite my oily skin, and is easy to clean up if drawn unevenly.

Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick by Kate Moss are hands-down the best full coverage lipsticks by a drugstore brand. The color intensity, shade range and lasting power are well above what one would expect of a budget brand. This October, there will be a new line of matte shades in red packaging. Can't wait to try those!

2. The Fast Rising Star: Something you have used for over 6 months and will still be using.

Technically, I've had several of these products for less than six months, but I find myself reaching for them all the time: Laura Mercier Turquoise Caviar Stick, Tarte Lipsurgence Lip Tint in Spirited, Stila Sparkle Luxe Gloss in Dazzling, Suqqu Nuancing Cheeks EX03 Akanemizu and YSL Glossy Stains. The Physicians' Formula Fashionista palette is a recent acquisition that has worked well for me.

3. The Number 1 Draft Pick: Something you just started using and am loving it.

Ever since I started using Pixi Endless Silky Eye Pens, I have hardly touched my liquid eyeliners. No. 1 Black Noir is as intensively black as Urban Decay Perversion but without the problem of the lead shrinking from the wood. No. 9 Oyster Glow is a staple for lining the lower lashline for making the eyes look more awake. The 2nd Star Twinkle from the Tinkerbell collection is a lovely shimmery olive.

4. The FAIL: Something you tried recently and does not work for you.

Both the Soap & Glory Thick & Fast Super Volume Mascara and Accessorize Lenthening Mascara in Ultra Black failed to impress me. The former felt too dry and did not hold the curl of my lashes well. The Accessorize mascara took several coats to build barely decent length and had virtually zero volumising effect.

5. The Experiment: Something you bought and am going to try next.

Thanks to Mag, I just received the two Majolica Majorca Puff de Cheek in Cherry Macaron and Raspberry Macaron, and the Popping Shower Powder from the Psychedelicious summer collection. From Sephora, I picked up a Tarte Clean Slate Deluxe Primer Trio (US$9) and Stila All Over Shimmer Liquid Luminizer Set (US$20).


My new Shu Uemura palette of shades from the recent Color Atelier collection, consisting of mainly glitter finishes.

If you would like to join in the fun, just leave a comment on Yumeko's post and here with a link to your blog post, and I'll be sure to check it out!

4 comments:

Yumeko said...

i love seeing all your choices !!
and as usual you have some items i never considered trying but am going to give it a go now XD

thanks for joining in as always!!

Unknown said...

I have join in the fun this week :)

http://www.miaka-mylife.blogspot.sg/2012/07/weekly-photo-challenge-all-star-makeup.html

Tia said...

Hi Haru,

I joined challenge #9 too (same blogspot address).

By the way, I am really curious about K-palette eyebrow pencil. And those YSL lip glosses are tempting!

Priscilla said...

hi Iris...I have finally decided to join in. :)

Here's the link to my post --> http://seishouai.livejournal.com/55686.html